Monday, January 17, 2005

What next?

Mississippi libraries ban 'America'

JACKSON, Miss. (UPI) -- Library officials in two Mississippi counties have banned the bestseller "America: The Book" by Jon Stewart and the writers of "The Daily Show."

The officials said they banned the book because of a photo that shows faces of the Supreme Court justices superimposed over naked bodies, TV Guide reported Monday.

"I've been a librarian for 40 years," said Robert Willits, director of the Jackson-George Regional Library System, "and this is the only book I've objected to so strongly that I wouldn't allow it to circulate."

4 comments:

Dean said...

That book they call "Holy Bible" has a lot of pretty rank stuff in it. I suggest the censors take a look at it. It may have to go.

The Mad Doctor said...

Too bad. Librarians are the leaders in the fight against censorship. And the book is damn funny. It was quite therapeutic along with the movie "Team America: World Police" after the dismal election.

Duckie said...

I'm sorry Dean...

The Censors will always find ways to justify the legitimacy of The Bible and never find it objectionable enough to be on the same level as others they have banned on less incriminating contents... But you're right... "The Songs of Solomon" alone make for racier reading than some paperback romances! :-)

Duckie said...

Hello, Doctor...

I used to be a volunteer librarian in the local parochial school... I started having misgivings about the policies advocated by the Church and School Board when they would not allow me to keep on the shelves some artbooks I personally bought and donated, just "because they had naked pictures in them". The Sistine Chapel and other sacred places all have "naked paintings" on their walls but it's ok? Duh!

I reached a boiling point when it was proclaimed that the Harry Potter books were inappropriate reading material for the children because "it encourages them to believe in witchcraft". I bought and donated the books (the school had zero budgeted funds for the library). I was ready for a confrontation but to my disappointment, the challenge was never acknowledged by the hierarchy... The books did not stay on the shelves, only because the kids lined up to check them out as soon as they came in.

You bet I would hate to see censorship.

PS... I am no longer a volunteer there.

Thanks for stopping by... please come back again