Monday, December 13, 2004



Heinrich Heine
---
"Every man, either to his terror or consolation, has some sense of religion."

"Experience is a good school. But the fees are high."

"God will forgive me. It's his job."

"Great genius takes shape by contact with another great genius, but, less by assimilation than by fiction."

"I fell asleep reading a dull book and dreamed I kept on reading, so I awoke from sheer boredom."

"I have never seen an ass who talked like a human being, but I have met many human beings who talked like asses."

"If the Romans had been obliged to learn Latin, they would never have found time to conquer the world."

"In earlier religions the spirit of the time was expressed through the individual and confirmed by miracles. In modern religions the spirit is expressed through the many and confirmed by reason."

"Oh, what lies there are in kisses."

"Talking and eloquence are not the same: to speak and to speak well are two things. A fool may talk, but a wise man speaks

No comments: